1844 Original Antique Stoneykirk Church Communion Token, Scotland
This small, original coin sized Victorian era Scottish church communion token or medal was found in Wembley, northwest London, England. It measures 1.25 x .75 inches, iand is made of early lead, as most are. These tokens can also be made copper, pewter, metal, and brass, and also are seen in variouls sizes and shapes.
Text on antique token reads:
STONEYKIRK FREE CHURCH, 1844
LET A MAN EXAMINE HIMSELF.
1 COR. X1.28 (From Corinthians 11:28)
The Presbyterian Church was recognized as the established church of Scotland, or Kirk in 1690. Tokens were given to church members for admittance to the Lord's Supper, later replaced by communion cards.
1846 Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland by Samuel Lewis, written in 1846: "STONEYKIRK, a parish, in the county of Wigton, 5 miles from Stranraer; containing, with the fishing-port of Sandhead and the village of Stoneykirk, 3062 inhabitants, of whom 56 are in the village. Some vessels belonging to the Spanish Armada were wrecked off the western coast, not far from a bay which in commemoration of that circumstance, has since been called the bay of Float; and at Money Point, near the bay, a considerable number of Spanish dollars was subsequently discovered. The parish is bounded on the east by the bay of Luce, and on the west by the Irish Channel, and is nearly ten miles in length and three miles and a half in average breadth, comprising about 21,500 acres, of which 19,000 are arable, 375 woodland and plantations, and the remainder, whereof 1100 might be reclaimed, moorland and waste. The crops are, wheat, oats, barley, potatoes, and turnips, with the usual grasses; flax was formerly grown, but its cultivation has been for some years totally discontinued. A post-office under that of Stranraer has deliveries every day, and facility of communication is maintained by the county road from Stranraer to Kirkmaiden, and other roads that intersect the parish. The ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Stranraer and synod of Galloway. The minister's stipend is £231, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £10 per annum; patrons, alternately, the Crown and the Earl of Stair. The church, which is situated about two miles from the shore of Luce bay, was built in 1827, at a cost of £2000; it is a substantial and handsome structure in the later English style of architecture, and contains nearly 1000 sittings, all of which are free. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship. The parochial school affords a complete course of instruction to about sixty children; the master has a salary of £25, with a house and garden, and the fees average £15 annually. Upon the farm of Clayshank, the foundations of a church may be distinctly traced; and at Kirkmadrine, the churchyard of which is still preserved as a burying place, are some gravestones with ancient inscriptions."
Condition as seen in large photos. Click to see larger. An early Scottish piece, with these historical tokens becoming further collected, as the field of interest of exonumia. See a wonderful book on collecting communion tokens here.
Size: 1.25 x .75 inches
Welcome! We have a 100% approval policy. Also visit Debra's other 2 sites: Ancestorville, with thousands of early signed vintage lost family photos of the 19th century for genealogy, and Vintage Poster Works, a vintage antique advertising site. email Debra with any questions here. We proudly use recycled packaging when we can.
We Also Recommend
Book: Anthology of British Cups, Michael Berthoud 1982 (Coffee Cans too)