1764 John Ryland 10 Antique Original Copper Engraved English Prints
These 10 beautiful old original 1760's prints were each cut out of an early 18th century book entitled: "England Illustrated, or, a Compendium of the Natural History, Geography, Topography, and Antiquities Ecclesiastical and Civil, of England and Wales". Published in London by R. & J. Dodsley in 1764.
They are 250 year old English copper engraved architectural and topographic prints of castles and scenery, and engraved by the artist John Ryland. They are printed on early thick and beautiful high rag content antique paper. There is nothing printed on the reverse side of each, are blank.
John Ryland 1740-1817 was a British artist, engraver, printer and printseller. In 1776, John was living at St. Martin, Ludgate in the Ludgate Hill, Farringdon area in the City of London. These were found all together in Totnes, Devon, England and would be wonderful matted and framed.
The antique prints are, as follows:
1. "North East View of the City of Hereford", V. II. P. 263, has very faint early 18th c. period pencil "107" handwritten on reverse. creasing bottom edge, for condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. Note: Hereford is a county town of Herefordshire, England, lying on the River Wye, approximately 16 miles east of the Wales border and 24 miles southwest of Worcester. It is a cathedral city with its roots back to the Romans. Much of the county of Herefordshire spoke Welsh at one time.
2. "Hartlebury Castle, the Palace of the Bishop of Worcester" VII p. 257., has very faint early 18th c. pencil script "Worce" in lower right front. Note: From the mid 1200's until 2007, Hartlebury Castle was the residence of the Bishop of Worcester. It was built in about 1250, and sits near Stourport-on-Severn in an area alongside many large antique manor and country houses.
3. "A View of Ford Abbey in Devonshire, the seat of Francis Gwyn, Esq." VII, p. 374, creasing bottom edge. Has very faint early 18th c. period pencil "V. River Teme" handwritten in lower right front. For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. Note: Ford Abbey was originally a Cistercian monastery before being shut down by Henry VIII in 1539, when he established the Church of England. The house remained unoccupied for more than 100 years. The Gwynne family purchased it in the 1600's, thus being named on this print. Forde Abbey was formerly located within Devonshire's boundaries, but is now located in County Dorset.
4. "A view of Ludlow Castle in Shropshire" VII, P. 218. For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. Note: Ludlow Castle is a medieval fort in Ludlow, Shropshire England, which overlooks the River Teme. It is one of the first stone castles built in England.
5. "Chatsworth House, the Seat of the House of Devonshire", Vol. II, P. 97, For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail, has tears on edge where taken out of 1760's book. It has some small dip pen ink dots in sky, see scan. Note: Chatsworth House is a manor in Derbyshire, England, in the Derbyshire Dales. It is the seat of the Duke of Devonshire, and home to the Cavendish family since 1549.
6. "A View of Peckwater Court, Christ Church College, Oxford", Vol 1, P. 258. For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. mild very soft crease lower right front, must be scrutinized closely to see at all. Note: "Peck" as Oxford students call it, is one of the quadrangles of Christ Church, Oxford, England. Peckwater Quad sits on the site of a medieval inn run by the Peckwater family and given to St Frideswide's Priory in 1246.
7. "A View of Barkeley Castle in Gloucestershire", P. 278, Vol. II. For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. Note: Berkeley Castle, also known as Berkley and Barkley Castle, is in the town of Berkeley, Gloucestershire, England and a long Berkeley family site. It is believed to be the place of the murder of King Edward II in 1327.
8. "The North West Prospect of Worcester Cathedral", P. 254, Vol. II. For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. Note: Worcester Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral in Worcester, Worcestershire, England. It overlooks the River Severn and is considered architecturally one of the most interesting cathedrals in England, founded in 680.
9. "West View of Cambridge", Vol II, P. 5. For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. Note: Cambridge sits on the River Cam in eastern England, and is home to the University of Cambridge, founded in 1209. It is in the county of Cambridgeshire, 50 miles north of London.
10. "A View of Kings College, New Buildings, Cambridge", Vol II, P. 10. For condition, click image to see very close up and movable views in minute detail. King's College was founded in 1441 by Henry VI and is considered one of the best examples of late Gothic English architecture. It is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge.
The collection of 10 prints will be sent in one new rigid sleeve for all. Be sure to check each print and edges in scans, as they are all cut by someone long ago from the original book. All antiquarian maps, prints and paper are subject to normal aging due to use and time. There is a beautiful naive folk art quality to the perspective in these pieces. A wonderful collection we were happy to find.
SIZE: 7 and 7/8" x 4.5 inches, all roughly close in size. They would frame as a set and be the same size with matting.
Welcome! We have a 100% approval policy. Also visit Debra's other 2 sites: Ancestorville, with thousands of early signed vintage lost family photos of the 19th century for genealogy, and Vintage Poster Works, a vintage antique advertising site. email Debra with any questions here. We proudly use recycled packaging when we can.
We Also Recommend
1911 Large Edwardian era George V Royal Doulton Coronation Celery Dish Platter
BOOK: The Jacobites and Their Drinking Glasses: Geoffrey Seddon, 1995