1880's "Princess Alexandra delighted w/whip" Sandringham Royal Letter
#AD279 Autographed letter Sir Frederick Tower Hamilton
On the death of Queen Victoria in 1901, her son Albert Edward became king emperor as Edward VII, and his wife Princess Alexandra became queen empress. She held that title until Edward's death in 1910. Alexandra of Denmark's full name was Alexandra Caroline Marie Charlotte Louise Julia and she was born 1 December 1844 and died 20 November 1925. She was Queen of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions and Empress of India as the wife of King Edward VII. Alexandra was the dowager and queen mother of the reigning King George V after her husband Edward's 1910 death.
Known as an amazing horsewoman, she was strong, outdoorsy and loved her life at the 8,000 acre Victorian country Sandringham Estate, the land given to them before marriage, and built by her and Edward in 1870. They had married in 1863 and she reigned as Princess of Wales from 1863-1901. She was exceedingly stylish, fashionable, and known as her "own person." Sandringham Estate has been passed down through 4 generations of British royalty and today is the country retreat of Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.
This is an original signed royal related letter on Sandringham, Kings Lynn letterhead, printed in red ink, see photos. It is dated Dec the 2nd and written by Admiral Sir F.T. Hamilton (Sir Frederick Tower Hamilton 1856-1917, who lived at Sandringham at various times with his family), to Mr. Callow, an esteemed and royally sanctioned London whip maker.
The circa 1880's to 1900 letter reads:
Dec the 2nd
The whip has given great satisfaction and has been much admired. Thr Princess was delighted with it & I think myself that it is the prettiest one I have ever seen. The proportions were all right, and the length just correct. (Illegible closing word) FTHamilton
Note: Mr. Callow, was a famous Park Lane, London hunting and equestrian whip maker who made whips of the highest quality and caliber. The letter is thanking him for a horse whip for the princess. His whip business was known at various times as: Messrs. Callow & Son, of 8, Park Lane; J. Crowther and W. Callow whip makers, Regent St. London; and Callow, James William (Callow & Son)
Note: Kelly's Directory of the Leather Trades of 1885: Callow & Son, whipmakers are listed in the 1879 “Dickens Dictionary of London” by Charles Dickens Jr which only listed tradesmen or shops with a Royal appointment. (Charles Dickens Jr. was the son of the famous Charles Dickens, and produced many publications on all aspects of 19th c Victorian London life)
The letter signer was Admiral Sir Frederick Tower Hamilton 1856-1917. He was Aide-de-Camp to King Edward VII between 1906 and 1907, although this letter is written earlier when Alexandra was still princess, before the death of Queen Victoria. FT Hamilton lived at He lived at Anmer Hall near King's Lynn and Sandringham in Norfolk. He was highly decorated for decades of Navy service, but also with impeccable familial and illustrious royal connections. He was born in London in 1856 and died at age 61 in 1917 at the end of WWI.
He is buried at Rosyth Old Churchyard in Rosyth, Fife, Scotland.
From 1902 Book: The life of Queen Alexandra by Sarah A. Southall Tooley
Publication date 1902 in London by Hodder & Stoughton. Quoting:
"The Queen is particularly fond of country life and its recreations. She has been a
fearless rider and is an excellent whip. Lord Ronald Gower has described her hunting at Trentham when she and the Prince visited the Duke of Sutherland in 1866. "The Princess," he says, "looked very lovely on her horse, "King Arthur", and rode like a bird. Except hurdles, however, which had been put up in the Green Drive, there was little jumping. But the Princess took the hurdles beautifully; she has simply no sense of nervousness.Returning from the hunting after dark, riding through the woods where these hurdles were,she leapt them again, although both the Prince and Stafford had avoided them. The Queen's whips are very dainty, with gold tops. The Queen's pony-stables were built at Sandringham in 1879, and are perfect in sanitation and beautiful to the eye. The stalls have silver fittings, the walls are lined with white glazed tiles, and even the straw litter has a plaited fringe. The name of each horse is inscribed over its stall in gold letters on a tablet of blue and white."
THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JANUARY, 1915: List of Tradesmen who hold Warrants of Appointment to Queen Alexandra from the Comptroller to Her Majesty, with authority to use Her Majesty's Arms: "Callow, T. and Son , Whip makers London"
This beautiful original royal letter was found in Southwick, West Sussex, England. It measures 7 x 4.5 inches, folded in half. We have included digital public domain images of Princess Alexandra and FT Hamilton for your enjoyment. This is a beautiful and original autograph and piece of Victorian, Edwardian era English history.
Size: 7 x 4.5 inches folded
Welcome! We have a 100% approval policy. Also visit Debra's other 2 sites: Ancestorville, with thousands of early signed vintage lost family photos of the 19th century for genealogy, and Vintage Poster Works, a vintage antique advertising site. email Debra with any questions here. We proudly use recycled packaging when we can.
We Also Recommend
1830's William Ridgway Blue White Willow Platter, Rare & Early WR Mark